Friday, December 12, 2008

Another Book Review: The Golden Compass



I just finished "His Dark Materials" trilogy aka: The Golden Compass. I saw the movie and then Matt said that there was a huge black listing of the book because the author is Atheist. So OF COURSE I had to read it, LOL! Anyways, I REALLY liked the books. I guess I must like Atheist authors. My favorite author is Ayn Rand (Atheist). Maybe I like them because they dont bind themselves by traditional rules. Even though I dont think everything in a "fictional" book is fact, I like the fresh new ideas. I like to see how they can make them work in a new kind of world. I understand why some people would make a big deal over the ideas in the book but I kind of wonder if the author was baiting for it in the first place. The author was said to be surprised that Harry Potter received more controversy than his books. As if he was looking for the attention to lead to more sells!! Anyways, I think people should be allowed to say whatever they want to say and you and I should then decide if it is fact or fiction. I dont think books should be ignored because they might have a different idea than the main stream. Maybe they are just not worth your time, but there shouldnt be some public strike against it.

To sum it up, this series might be added to my favorite books list. Although, it was a little drawn out in some parts and some things seems to be "a little too convenient". I love the whole idea of "Dust", good vs. evil, and your soul taking the form of an animal. I even liked the religious references. Maybe because I dont think The Fall was bad. Well, you will have to read it to know what Im talking about, or just go to Wikipedia. If you have read it, I would like to know what you thought.

No comments: